You can now apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction on-line and keep track of your application once you have registered for ‘MyAccount’.

Before claiming Housing Benefit, please check whether Universal Credit is available to claim in your postcode area. This is because the DWP are rolling out Universal Credit currently on a phased basis. To check please visit or telephone the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 3285644. Even if you can apply for help with your rent through Universal Credit, you can still claim for help with your Council Tax on this form.

If you and your partner, where applicable, are of pension age you can still claim Housing Benefits and Pension Credits.
If you would like to check your pensionable age please click Here

Before you complete your application you may need some or all of the following documents:

• DWP / HMRC / Pension Service Award Letters
• Wage Slips (If you are in employment)
• Bank / Building Society Statements (If Applicable)
• Copies of any Private Pensions
• Tenancy Agreement / Rent Book (If Applicable)
• If you are applying for Housing Benefits you will need to provide details of the bank account you will want the Housing Benefit paid into i.e. your Landlords account details.

In most cases, once you have these documents to hand you can scan or take a photo of them and upload them to your application. You can also do this if you have the relevant documents in electronic format.

Please answer all the questions that apply to you as the form will be specific to you dependent upon the answers you provide. This includes the documents and evidence you will be asked to upload.

You can save your application at any point and return to it later. Just click save and enter your email address when prompted

Once you have completed the application and provided the documents we require, we will verify your application and contact you again to tell you if you are eligible for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction and how much you may receive.

A receipt will be issued to the mobile number or email address that you include on your application form when it is successfully submitted. Please ensure you keep this receipt for your records.